Sunday, March 29, 2009

AN UNSATISFIED CRAVING

I really love me some fish. Any kind of seafood (except maybe raw oysters). I love shrimp, scallops, salmon, squid/calamari, mussels, swordfish, clams, Ahi tuna, halibut, and so on. Yum, yum, yum.

Mahi Mahi


Yesterday I was very close to a Rubio's Baja Grill where I could have easily grabbed myself some uber-tasty fish tacos for lunch. But I had Claire in tow and was picking up lunch for Max, his brother, and Hudson so I opted to just get a Pad Thai rice noodle bowl (with shrimp) at the restaurant where I was getting lunch for everyone else. Figured that I'd somehow feed my fish-craving at dinner.

Dinnertime came. We picked up hot dogs and pizza for Max and Hudson, respectively, at Costco. I wasn't super hungry and still had a hankering for a meal that revolved around some fabulous fine-finned friend (say that three times fast). So I waited until Claire was down and my tummy said it really wanted to eat. I then called down to our local Cafe Rio to make sure that they were running the usual Saturday special: Mahi Mahi fish tacos. Yes, indeedy, there were. So I hopped in the car and headed to Rio, making a quick stop at the market/pharmacy on the way.

I arrived at Cafe Rio, practically drooling at the thought of those tasty vittles. Two corn tortillas filled with Mahi Mahi and fresh cabbage. A slice or two of fresh lime on the side (an absolute MUST) and a little container full of their Creamy Tomatillo dressing/sauce. Don't care about the rice or anything else on the side. I just need that fish in those tacos. Mmmmmm. I'm drooling again.

I walked up to the counter and said, "Two mahi mahi tacos, please." I really did say "please" at the end. And you know what the lady's response was? "I'm all out of mahi mahi." I BEG YOUR PARDON?! I just waited to eat my dinner so I'd be really hungry and then drove all the way down the hill specifically to get these tacos. And you're "ALL OUT"? She's lucky I'd had some berry smoothie from Costco and that my stomach wasn't actually growling...because it just might have been angry enough to jump out and bite her on lip for such language.

I settled on a chicken tostada. Quite the tasty dish but not my precious fish tacos. As of this evening, I'm officially craving them about 82 times worse than I craved them yesterday. My mission this week? At least one meal of fish tacos. That means I either have to drive about 15 minutes to get some at Rubio's in the city or wait until Saturday for Rio to offer them on their special again. Guess which one it will be...

3 comments:

Erin said...

So I was thinking we should play this Saturday night. Steve and Max can do the Priesthood thing then we can play. I hope you get to satisfy your food craving. I've got craving, but I'm pregnant...what's your excuse?

Natalie said...

You wanna meet up at Rubio's tomorrow or what? DUDE! When you need a fish taco, you need a fish taco. LOL I'm so sad you had to settle for a chicken tostada...as good as they are..

The King Family said...

I love Cafe Rio- wish it was in So Cal though! Usually my cravings include In 'N' Out Burger- way more fattening than a fish taco! But I totally understand where you are coming from, when you want it, you gotta have it!