At long last, here is the recipe I have wanted to post for some time. Now, some folks out there might be daunted by the word "rolls". DO NOT BE AFRAID! I don't care if you have never been able to successfully produce a batch of yeast rolls or bread. It doesn't matter if the bottle of yeast runs and hides when it thinks you're coming to get it. You can be the WORST baker in the world. You can and will succeed at this recipe if you just do what the instructions say.
Also, a note for my family: while these aren't as good as Bennion/Jacobsen Overnight-Labor-Of-Love Rolls (is anything?), they are so easy and so very tasty that they're right up there at the top of my list. The ONLY roll I make besides the aforementioned.
ANGEL ROLLS
1 cup milk
3 Tbsp. sugar, separated into 1 and 2 Tbsp.
1 tsp. salt
1 pkg. active dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp.) dissolved in 1/3 cup warm water
1/2 cup regular shortening
1 egg
3 cups flour
To the yeast, add 1 Tbsp. of the sugar and the milk, shortening, and unbeaten egg. Stir well. Blend in 1 1/2 cups flour and beat well. Add remaining flour to which the sugar and salt have been added. Blend well, adding more flour if necessary, but keep dough very soft. Cover with lightly dampened cloth and let stand for 20 minutes. Knead briskly on board or counter for 3-5 minutes, once again keeping dough soft. Let stand for 10-15 minutes. Roll into a large circle, about 1/2-inch thick. Brush with melted butter or margarine. Cut into 16 pie-shaped wedges and roll each piece up from the wide end to he narrow end. Place on a greased cookie sheet. Cover with oiled/cooking-sprayed plastic wrap or dampened towel and let rise until double (about 1 hour). Bake at 425 for 10 minutes. or until lightly golden-browned.
NOTES:
- I have never made the enormous size of roll that they call for. I divide my dough in half and roll out two thinner circles, making 32 rolls instead...and they're the perfect size!
- I ALWAYS use butter when brushing the dough prior to rolling.
- To grease my cookie sheet, I just spray it with Pam or something like it...never been able to taste it on the rolls.
Next recipe: FOIL-WRAPPED GINGER CHICKEN. Mmmmmmmmm...
1 comment:
I'm not a hugely successful bread or roll maker, but I think I'm gonna trust you and try these out! Thanks for the recipe, if you like it, chances are I will too! <3
Post a Comment