Thursday, October 29, 2009

CRAZY HAIR DAY

Today is a big day for Hudson at school. The classes are all having their annual "Fall Party". Now, mind you, it's not a Halloween party. The school (and I'm assuming all schools in our district) does not allow costumes to be worn and they aren't celebrating Halloween. Same thing goes for Christmas. There won't be a Christmas party or even a holiday party. It's the Winter Festival or something like that. Seriously. Even if they don't get to have official holiday parties like we did when I was a kid, at least they get to have something. And this morning, Hudson was SO excited for whatever their class party should bring.

Not only do the kids get to have their "Fall Party", it's also the school's "Crazy Hair Day". Yesterday afternoon I took the kids around town in search of colored hair spray. A nearly impossible task, I tell you. (Note to self: buy colored hairspray weeks in advance next time.) The first store was sold out so I made a couple of phone calls before going any further. The second place I called still had lots left. Phew! They had so many colors to choose from - green, silver, red, yellow, gold, purple, pink, blue, orange, etc. and various options once a color was chosen. There were some that were glittered, others fluorescent, and so on. If I had let him, Hudson would have taken one of each home. However, I wasn't in the mood for maxing out my AMEX on Halloween hair products so I had him narrow it down to two. He chose orange and black. I don't know which Hudson was more excited about...the aforementioned party or doing something out-of-the-box with his hair today.

This morning we spent about 10 minutes in the bathroom getting my boy's coif all crazied out. We did "monster (aka spiky) hair" and then went to town with the sprays. I was originally going to try for an all-orange head with a black pumpkin face on the back but realized I wouldn't be able to get good points on the eyes, nose, and mouth with the round sprayer. Hudson was kind of bummed out but then decided that stripes would be cool. The end result:



He couldn't stop smiling and kept talking about his "vampire hair". After a few pictures, we ran out the door and I drove him up to the bus stop. As we got out of the car and walked up to the stop, the other kids were staring and smiling and one boy said, "Dude. Hudson's hair is AWESOME!" You can only imagine how huge Hudson's smile was...he was so thrilled with himself.

5 comments:

Anne said...

What an awesome mom you are!

Natalie said...

Wow, I can see why his smile is so big! His hair rocks! Good job Mom.

Anonymous said...

Oh gosh! I actually burst out laughing when I saw the pictures. He's so cute! I hope he enjoyed the rest of the day with his orange and black colored hair!

Anna B said...

i love your blog!! hudson's hair is RAD! well done.

emily said...

Very cool hair...