20 years ago today, my parents had their first child (who happens to be my only sister). I'm not quite sure how that adds up considering the fact that I'm 32 and she's older than me. So let's just disregard my lack of skills in the math department. It is Anne's birthday. In keeping with tradition, here's a list of things that make her the greatest sister in the world:
- She has a fantastic laugh.
- I can call her to tell her the lamest thing or complain about something and she'll not only listen but be genuinely interested.
- She had the good sense to marry a great (and funny) guy and then have 3 awesome children with him.
- While she is very much a mature adult, we can easily slip into teen and pre-teen mode with over-excessive laughter about the silliest things, making funny faces at each other, and carrying on about nothing in particular.
- She's a great cook and baker and is always happy to share her recipes with me.
- She is very thoughtful and generous.
- We share many of the same pet-peeves and things that irritate us so it's extra fun to vent or commiserate with each other.
- She is patient and forgiving.
- When she moved away for college and after she got married, she was always good to send me letters with encouraging words to help me survive being at home with my 3 brothers.
- We have this thing when we see each other's name on caller ID and answer the phone...(you know what I'm talking about).
- She talked my parents into letting me get my ears pierced at an earlier age than she did.
- I can always count on her to go in together on birthday/anniversary/holiday gifts for our parents.
- When I had my back and brain surgeries, she was more than happy to abandon her husband and 2 older kids to come here (bringing her daughter who is Hudson's age with her) and play mom to my kids, do my laundry, and help me get through recovery.
- She is great at keeping in touch with me and the other members of my family whether it's by e-mail or by phone.
- She is always up for anything and is therefore very easy to spend time with.
- We have very similar (and really great) taste in decorating and enjoy adding to each other's already-too-large Christmas tree ornament collection each year.
- She lives in the greatest state and even though I don't make it out there much, I get to vacation at her place anytime I want to.
- We share an affinity for chocolate, shopping, Pride & Prejudice (and therefore BBC's Mr. Darcy aka Colin Firth), marzipan/Princess Cake, baby animals, talking on the phone, and chocolate. Yes, I said it twice.
- She sends me all of her younger daughter's cutest old clothes for Claire to use...I knew there was a reason I talked her into buying all of that Gymboree stuff!
- She is a great example to me in so many things and makes me want to be a better person, sister, friend, and mother.
- Since I don't make it out to her place as often as I should, she's good to help make up for the lack of face time and comes to visit me.
- We both find great humor in ugly and/or tacky note cards and have no problem wasting stamps to send them to each other.
- She is not only my sister but one of my best friends.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ANNIE!!

I have a most fabulous picture of her from a couple of years back that involves a navy blue college dance dress (with white lace) from the early 90's and a pair of old-school boots. But I won't post it for fear that as forgiving as she is, she'll disown me. Instead, I'll let you use your imagination.
3 comments:
Wait..."one of" your best friends??? ;-) Thanks for the nice post! I'm not sure I deserve all those compliments, but I am most definitely flattered! Love you!!
Both you and Anne are the easiest people to get along with. I sure feel lucky to be a part of your family. Happy Birthday Anne!
Ahhhh, so sweet! Sisters are the best, and she sounds like the best of the best! :) Happy Birthday Anne!
Post a Comment