I don't know why, but I was thinking about movies the other day. There are so many good ones out there and I started wondering...if I had to pick a list of movies (or movie series) to watch over and over again for the rest of my life, which ones would be on it and why? So here are a few of my faves in no particular order...
MOVIES I COULD WATCH AGAIN AND AGAIN (AND AGAIN...)
- BBC's Pride & Prejudice with Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy: Okay...this one had to be 1st. Do you really need a reason why?
- U-571: I really like war stories and this is one that keeps you on the edge of your seat. Beginning to end, it's just a good one to watch!
- While You Were Sleeping: A fun romantic comedy...Sandra Bullock is an absolute hoot and she and Bill Pullman are a great match. Besides, Peter Gallagher's eyebrows crack me up.
- The Lord Of The Rings: This is another one that doesn't need much explanation. I just love the characters, the story, and Viggo Mortensen as Aragorn.
- The Patriot: Mel Gibson is fantastic in this and it's a great mix of action and a bit of drama. I cry every time I watch it. Especially when little Susan goes running after him, suddenly talking for the 1st time in a long time, begging him not to go back to war...."Daddy, Daddy!"
- Ocean's 11, 12, & 13: These are just a blast to watch and George Clooney and Brad Pitt are hilarious together.
- Star Wars: I'm only talking about the original three episodes (4 through 6) with Harrison Ford as Han Solo. As non-special as the special effects are and cheesy as some parts can be, the newer movies they did can't hold a candle to the originals.
- Anna & The King: Very well done re-make of The King & I...Jodie Foster and Chow Yun-Fat are positively great together.
- The Emperor's New Groove: Possibly the greatest recent Disney cartoon. And it just gets funnier every time I watch it.
- The Sound of Music: I have always loved the music and as I've gotten older, I've come to appreciate the story as well.
- BBC's 2008 Sense & Sensibility: It can't compare with P&P (what can?) but this is another Jane Austen that I could happily enjoy time and time again. I especially love Elinor, Colonel Brandon, and the youngest daughter, Margaret.
- The X-Men movies: While the 1st is definitely the best, these are just plain old fun to watch. And it doesn't hurt that Hugh Jackman is in them.
- Seven Brides for Seven Brothers: Catchy tunes, fun dance scenes, and a couple of the brothers are really cute. Plus, one of the "brides" is named Dorcas...always makes me giggle inside. Love it!
- Return To Me: It wasn't the most raved about chick flick to come out in its day, but this is one of the best of its kind in my humble (but totally correct) opinion. Besides, David Duchovny is really quite cute.
- She's The Man: I'm king of embarrassed to list this one but hopefully not everyone will bother with reading my whole wordy list. It's a total teen flick but Amanda Bynes is positively hilarious...her expressions and some of the things she says just make the movie.
- The Philadelphia Story: This is an oldie-but-goodie with my two favorite old actors - Cary Grant and Jimmy Stewart. Throw Katherine Hepburn in the mix and it's a real treat. Haven't seen it? You're seriously missing out!
- You've Got Mail and Sleepless In Seattle: Two wonderful chick flicks with one of the greatest pairings ever - Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan.
- Elf: Will Ferrell is an absolute hoot and there is a plethora of hilarious one-liners and scenes to make me laugh the whole way through.
- Night At The Museum: This is another one that just cracks me up every time I see it...Ben Stiller is a hoot, I love Dexter the monkey, and Ricky Gervais, Mickey Rooney, and Owen Wilson just make it that much more fun.
- Indiana Jones (all of them): Maybe I'm just a sucker for old-school Harrison Ford but I just love these movies. Nothing like a fun action flick with some comedy mixed in.
I know I've got to be missing quite a few titles...but there's a little tasting for you. Oh - and a note for you Jane Austen fans: If you haven't ever seen BBC's versions of Pride & Prejudice or Sense & Sensibility...seriously. Get with the program.
1 comment:
this is one of my favorite subjects - i love movies and reading your list brought back memories! watching 7 brides for 7 bros almost everytime i slept over! that was my FAV!! have you seen the NEW jane eyre??? with toby stevens at mr rochester??? girl - you HAVE to see it!! and have you see the new bbc version of presuasion with rupert penry jones as capt. wentworth?? gurl! you HAVE to see it. email me back...
love you
Post a Comment